Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Spirit of God

July 11, 2010

OK. There is just no way to adequately describe today. It just keeps getting better and better.

We started the day with Sacrament meeting in Hiram, OH, next to the John Johnson Farm. After the meeting, we went to the Historic Johnson Farm. This is where so much happened. Joseph & Emma lived there for a year. There were 16 revelations given there, including the Plan of Salvation section 76. In this upper room, God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared. What a marvelous place to visit. This is also where the persecution started to become very severe. Joseph Smith was dragged from his bed and tarred and feathered in the middle of the night. This was a particularly vicious attack. It was actually an assassination attempt. He was pretty severely beaten and scratched and left for dead. He then arose the next morning and preached from the front step, much to the surprise of the mob. The Spirit here was so incredibly strong.

The next stop was the Kirtland temple. I have had people tell me that they did not really feel the Spirit much there. However, I found it to have an amazing Spirit there. We were able to go into the temple and see the beautiful workmanship there. The tour guide was able to tell us quite a bit about the temple and what went into getting it built and also the dedication. But to sit in that room where God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared in such a holy edifice was an experience never to be forgotten. It is still the site of great spiritual importance and I could feel the Spirit in abundance. The tour guide even asked if the group would like to sing "The Spirit of God". What an experience. I almost couldn't get through the song. It's the second best singing experience in a temple that I've been able to have.

From there we went to the Historic Kirtland Visitor's Center. This was also a great place. The highlight of this site was the Newel K. Whitney store. This is also the site where many revelations were received. In the upstairs is the room where the School of the Prophets was held. Here in this room also God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared. Wow!! Three places in one day. To walk in the same places where such events have occurred has been amazing. It will be very difficult to top this day.

I so wish I could bring all the seminary kids to these places. What a great vacation this has been!!

No comments:

Post a Comment